When it comes to writing weapons, most authors shoot from the hip–and miss. The Writer’s Guide to Weapons will help you hit your target every time.
Firearms and knives have starring roles in a wide range of genres–crime, thriller, war, mystery, Western, and more. Unfortunately, many depictions of weapons in novels and film are pure fiction. Knowing the difference between a shotshell and a slug, a pistol and a revolver, or a switchblade and a butterfly knife is essential for imbuing your story with authenticity–and gaining popularity with discerning readers.
Inside you’ll find:
- An in-depth look at the basics of firearms and knives: how they work, why they work, what they look like, and how to depict them accurately in your stories.
- The biggest weapons myths in fiction, TV, and film.
- A surefire guide for choosing the correct weapon for your characters, no matter their skill level, strength, or background.
- A review of major gun and knife laws, weapons safety tips,and common police tactics.
- “The Hit List,” showcasing the most popular weapons for spies, detectives, gunslingers, gangsters, military characters, and more.
- Examples highlighting inaccurate vs. accurate weapons depictions.
- An insightful foreword by David Morrell, the award-winning creator of Rambo.